Extremely versatile software developer with a record of producing tangible results, intellectual property, and the insight to guide teams to the right place at the right time. Proven ability to design and implement intuitive, easy to learn, easy to use, and performant software solutions independently or as a team leader. Trustworthy, diplomatic, calm, resourceful, and especially skilled at systematically architecting solutions to complex problems.
- "Recommending search terms using collaborative filtering and web spidering".
- "Appearance and positioning annotation text string and base text string specifying a rule that relates the formatting annotation, base text characters".
Distinguished Software Architect
@WalmartLabs | Kosmix San Bruno April 2011 to present
- I lead the @WalmartLabs algorithmic pricing team.
- Whatever it takes to provide Walmart Global eCommerce merchandisers with the ability to optimize and execute prices multiple times per day.
- Guide a team which does application development in Rails. Validations to ensure that Walmart doesn't encounter pricing catastrophes. 100% uptime.
- Guide a data science team which provides revenue optimization, inventory-aware pricing, exploratory pricing, and price perception optimization.
- Authorization/privileges graph server development in Golang. It builds a 10 million vertex graph in a few seconds. It answers typical graph connectivity requests in single digit milliseconds. 100% uptime.
- Authentication server development in Rails to support single sign on for multiple web applications with authentication against Active Directory over LDAP. 100% uptime.
- On top of the Ruby and Golang, a decade's worth of C. A half decade of Java. Plenty of Python. A smattering of Scala.
- Bash fu.
- Vigilant code review. My team reviews every line of code.
- Even more vigilant testing and continuous integration. My team hits 80% line coverage on the server side.
- Around the clock support.
- Global markets. US, Brazil, Colombia, Australia, UK.
- That whatever, in my case, includes:
Independent Software Development
Oct 2003 to March 2011
- Developed a Ruby/Rails/PostgreSQL/Apache/Passenger grants management system for the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, a California state governmental agency charged by the electorate with distributing $3 billion in funding for stem cell research.
- Developed and continue to manage a Ruby/Rails/PostgreSQL/Passenger/Apache web application for the marketing, scheduling, and signup for a series of baking and pastry classes. This currently occupies 0% of my time but it's still ticking.
- Developed a web application in Ruby/Rails/MySQL/Mongrel/Apache to provide database-driven camp and location information, process customer reservations and payments, and handle CRM for ABK BoardSports. Another one which was written long ago, occupies 0% of my time, but is still ticking and serving live customers.
- Created multiple geospatial web applications using Ruby/Rails/PostgreSQL/PostGIS, then Python/Django for Urban Mapping Inc.
- Developed iPhone applications for distribution in the AppStore along with a push notification service involving an OAuth Consumer, Google App Engine, the Twitter API, a custom server application written with Python/Django/PostgreSQL/WSGI/Apache, and Apple's push notification servers. Long defunct, but it was mobile before the world was mobile first.
- An investment portfolio management web site to suit my personal needs complete with automatic FIFO lot matching, overrides for tax-advantaged non-FIFO lot matching, wash sale flagging and adjustment, realized/unrealized gains, corporate event handling such as symbol changes, splits, dividends, acquisitions, and rate of return calculations factoring in the time value of dividend payments. Originally created with Ruby/Rails/MySQL, then rewritten with Python/Django/PostgreSQL/WSGI/Apache and an OCaml lot matching engine.
Owner, Chief, Software Developer, Windsurf Guru, Scuba Guide, Janitor
Villa Bientu Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles Mar 2005 to Feb 2007
- Owned, marketed, and operated Villa Bientu, a 4-unit bed and breakfast in the Caribbean on Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles.
- Developed an outward facing web application using Ruby, Rails, MySQL, and Google AdWords to handle all marketing, reservations, and payments for our Caribbean bed and breakfast.
Software Engineer | Engineering Manager
Overture Services Inc | GoTo.com | Cadabra.com San Mateo Jun 1998 to Oct 2003
- Designated as a key contributor when Cadabra.com was acquired by Overture Services Inc.
- Independently identified a need for, implemented, and subsequently patented a search phrase recommendation engine in Java using a k-means based collaborative filtering system.
- Led a team of three developers in creating a books, music, and video comparison shopping engine.
- Created a metadata editor using Java/Swing/AWT for a reverse-chaining inference engine.
Random Noise Inc San Francisco Sep 1997 to May 1998
Adobe Systems Inc | Frame Technology Inc San Jose Sep 1987 to Sep 1997
- 10 years of C programming.
- Just about every activity at Adobe and Frame revolved around developing features for the FrameMaker long document publishing application. I specialized in development of the most advanced WYSIWYG area composition engine of its time, including a patented method for Japanese text layout.
Symantec Corporation Cupertino Mar 1986 to Sep 1987
White box software quality assurance.
- Wrote software quality assurance tools using Apple's software development tool of the time, MPW, for testing Q&A, Symantec's consumer oriented, flat-file database.